Find out how to contact us about a specific issue.
This privacy notice aims to give you information on how the Council and its wholly own company, SWISCo Ltd, collects and processes your personal data, including any data you may provide through this website for example when completing an online form.
This website is not intended for children and we do not knowingly collect data relating to children.
It is important that you read this privacy notice together with any other privacy notice we may provide on specific occasions when we are collecting or processing personal data about you so that you are fully aware of how and why we are using your data. Many of the Council's departments have separate privacy notices which relate to the particular services they provide and their specific use of your data. These privacy notices are set out in the links below. This privacy notice supplements the other notices and is not intended to override them.
e are registered as a ‘data controller’ under the Data Protection legislation as we collect and process personal information about you as the service user.
We process and hold your information in order to provide public services. These notices explain how we collect, use and share your information.
We need to collect and hold information about you, for a variety of reasons including:
- the delivery of public services
- confirming your identity to provide some services
- contacting you by post, email or telephone
- understanding your needs to provide the services that you request
- understanding what we can do for you and inform you of other relevant services and benefits
- obtaining your opinion about our services
- updating your customer record
- helping us to build up a picture of how we are performing at delivering services to you and what services the people of Torbay need
- processing financial transactions
- preventing and detecting fraud and corruption in the use of public funds
- allowing us to undertake statutory functions efficiently and effectively
- making sure we meet our statutory obligations including those related to diversity and equalities.
If we don't have enough information about you we may not be able to provide our services to you effectively.
How we protect your information
We are committed to ensuring that any personal data we hold about you is kept safe and secure.
- Paper records are kept in secure buildings and offices
- Electronic records are kept on secure IT systems
- Staff receive regular data protection training
- We will not keep your information longer than it is needed
At any time you can request to have a copy of the information we hold about you, and if you feel the information we process about you is incorrect you can request to have it corrected or deleted. If you wish to exercise any of your rights please contact us.